Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Piecing the binding

Hi there,
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.
I am working on the binding for the charity quilt I am making and wanted to show you what I am doing.
This is fabric that is left over from piecing the quilt and they are 5 x 10 inches in size. In this picture below I have them laying right sides together and just the corners overlapping. I drew a line from the middle of the bottom fabric and the upper left hand corner of the top fabric down to the middle of the top fabric and the lower right hand corner of the bottom fabric.




In this next photo I drew another line a half inch towards the corner and then stitched on both of these lines.
 
I then cut a quarter inch from the first line which gave a quarter inch seam to the binding and a quarter inch seam to the triangle.

 
I pressed the seam open.

 
Then I pressed the top of the seam to get it good and flat.


 
After I pieced a piece about 24 inches in lenth I cut it in half lenthwise which made it 2 1/2 inches in width and pieced the ends together using the same technique as shown above. 

 
Now I have these left over triangles to make something out of. So many possibilites. 

 
And that is how I am making my binding while using up my left over fabric.
Have a great day and Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment